Aston Villa chairman Randy Lerner says he won’t discuss rumours that he is contemplating selling the Premier League club until the end of the season.
“As regards my personal role at the club and the steady rumours of a sale, I will address these after the season,” the American said in a statement.
“(Manager) Paul Lambert, (chief executive) Paul Faulkner and I speak daily and remain committed to the immediate job of limiting distraction and confusion in order that Villa have the best chance possible of finishing on a strong note.”
After drawing 0-0 at home to Southampton on Saturday, Villa are five points above the Premier League relegation zone with four matches to play.
Villa announced last Tuesday that assistant manager Ian Culverhouse and head of football operations Gary Karsa had been suspended “pending an internal investigation”, without providing further details.
Lerner added: “Following the point yesterday (Saturday) at Villa Park, there have been stories about my selling the club.
“On a personal level, I had hoped the emphasis would have been on the amazing effort on the part of our manager and our players to re-group throughout a very difficult week.
“Injuries to Libor (Kozak) and Christian (Benteke), compounded with the early loss of Jores (Okore) and the difficult rehab of Charles (N’Zogbia) have no doubt left Paul with far less to work with than is fair.
“Still, Paul Lambert has done nothing but work within the parameters I’ve set, put the club first, and continue to trust his players.”
Lerner, a 52-year-old entrepreneur, has been Villa’s owner since 2006.
Villa finished in sixth place for three consecutive seasons between 2007 and 2010, but they have had to battle to avoid relegation over the last three campaigns.